Apply for the 2024 KAS-SAIIA Scholarship Programme for African Students.
The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) is a German political foundation named after the first chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. KAS operates worldwide intending to promote democracy through political education and training.
Since 1999 KAS has funded a scholarship programme, run by the South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA).
This unique scholarship programme provides funding to complete a full-year internship at SAIIA in parallel to a Masters degree in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Law or Journalism at WITS, UCT or Stellenbosch University.
Successful applicants have to meet the entry requirements for a Masters degree at the above institutions, be a South African resident (or eligible for residency status), and be younger than 30 years old.
Successful candidates will receive a full bursary for their tuition fees and a monthly stipend to cover their living costs and accommodation. The programme is output-focused, and scholars are assigned mentors.
KAS-SAIIA Scholarship Summary:
Application Deadline: October 2023
Type: Masters, Internship
Eligible Countries: African countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
To be Taken at (Country): Wits, UCT, or Stellenbosch University all in South Africa
Our scholarship offer
Masters scholarships are awarded for one year only.
Eligibility: Successful applicants have to meet the entry requirements for a Masters degree at the above institutions, be a South African resident (or eligible for residency status), and be younger than 30 years old.
- Applicants must meet all conditions as outlined in the agreement.
- Any successful applicant may be required to show proof that they are enrolled, or have been accepted to a Master’s programme, commencing in 2024 at the following institutions: Wits, UCT, or Stellenbosch University.
- Successful applicants will receive an official ‘offer’ email and must reply either accepting or rejecting this offer within 14 days of receipt.
- Failure to respond within 14 days may result in the scholarship offer being withdrawn and reassigned. Scholarships are awarded based on established eligibility criteria. You must meet the eligibility requirements to receive your scholarship The eligibility requirements for each scholarship are outlined on the scholarship page of our website.
- Providing false or misleading information is an offence. If KAS and SAIIA have reason to believe that you have provided false or misleading information, we may reassess your scholarship offer and you will be liable to repay the total sum of any payments incorrectly made to you.
- All scholarship holders must be South African residents or eligible for residency at the time of application.
- All applicants should be no older than 30 years old.
As a scholarship holder, you must:
Meet the conditions attached to your academic offer (if it is a conditional offer).
Join your academic course at the given start date and before the registration deadline.
Inform the funding team of any other scholarships or sponsorship currently held or awarded For 2024.
Make satisfactory progress on your academic programme.
Agree to act in an ambassadorial capacity, to provide student profiles or testimonials if requested, and to attend scholarship or recruitment events as required.
The scholarship is only applicable for the 2024 academic year.
If you decide to defer your studies, you should apply again for our scholarships the following year once you have an offer for the new academic year.
There is no guarantee that we will offer the same scholarships each year, or that you will be offered a scholarship again after reapplying.
Competition terms and conditions:
- This competition runs on the KAS South Africa (the “Promoter”) Facebook page and Twitter page. It is open to South African residents and excludes employees of KAS and SAIIA and their immediate families, or anyone professionally connected to the creation and administration of the competition.
- The competition is open to anyone aged 18 or over.
Value of KAS-SAIIA Scholarship Programme:
- Successful candidates will receive a full bursary for their tuition fees and a monthly stipend to cover their living costs and accommodation. The programme is output-focused, and scholars are assigned mentors.
- This unique scholarship programme provides funding to complete a full-year internship at SAIIA in parallel to a Masters degree in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Law or Journalism at WITS, UCT or Stellenbosch University.
Duration of KAS-SAIIA Scholarship Programme: Masters scholarships are awarded for one year only.
How to Apply for the KAS-SAIIA Scholarship Programme: The application should include:
- A letter of support/endorsement from one of your current lecturers for enrolment into a Masters Programme.
- A full CV that includes at least one additional written reference with your application.
- Your full academic record.
- Two written samples of your own writing.
- A two-page motivation of why you are applying for the scholarship programme and why you should be considered as an applicant.
- Completed quiz (open for qualifying applicants only)
To start the application process